Student Employment

You may choose to work during the academic year to meet the Student Responsibility portion of your Financial Aid. If you prefer not to work, you may choose to obtain outside scholarships and/or student loans to meet your Student Responsibility.

Academic Year Earnings

Because our office does not make job assignments, if your Financial Aid includes an academic year earnings expectation, you can apply for jobs through Stanford's new career services platform, Handshake, or seek employment off-campus. Once you obtain employment, you will be responsible for allocating your earnings at your discretion.

If your Financial Aid includes Federal Work-Study (FWS) eligibility, please follow our instructions to set up your FWS job. Even if your Financial Aid does not already include FWS, you may still qualify; to find out whether you qualify, you should complete and submit our FWS Authorization web form.

Summer Earnings

In the Student Responsibility section of your financial aid notification, you may see a Student Contribution amount shown. We expect that you will need to have about this much money available from your summer earnings and/or savings to go toward your educational costs for the academic year.

Undergraduate students who are interested in community service may want to check out the Summer Community Service Federal Work-Study program. Information about this program is available on the website of the Haas Center for Public Service. To determine whether you qualify for funding through this program, you should complete our CSWS Authorization web form. Be sure to select the Summer option in Section 2.

Students may also qualify to be paid through the Federal Work-Study program for summer jobs on campus. To check your eligibility, you should complete our FWS Authorization web form. Be sure to select the Summer option in Section 5.

Updated on August 31, 2022 11:39 AM