Federal Direct PLUS Loans
Parents of Undergraduate Students
Note: Before completing these steps to apply for a Federal PLUS loan, parents may wish to consider non-federal alternative loans for parents. A chart comparing federal and private parent loans is available on our Private/Alternative Parent Loans page.
1. Complete Stanford’s Parent PLUS Application
Complete Stanford's Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Request. Follow the instructions to complete and submit the form, then print, sign and mail the form to the Financial Aid Office.Make a Loan Request Make a Loan Request is Offline
After you have printed, signed and mailed your loan request form, please proceed to Step 2. You do not need to wait for an acknowledgment message before continuing.
2. Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
The FAFSA is required from all families borrowing Federal Direct PLUS Loans, even those who are not requesting need-based financial aid. If you have already applied for need-based aid, you probably have already filed the FAFSA. Upon review of the FAFSA, we may offer your student eligibility for a Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Direct Loan.
3. Complete Your Promissory Note
Note: If you completed a Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) in a prior academic year for the same student at Stanford, you do not need to complete a new MPN. Your existing MPN covers your Direct PLUS Loan borrowing for this student for up to ten years.
- Go to the Direct Loan website at http://StudentLoans.gov/.
- Click on the green "Login In" button.
- Enter your FSA ID username and password. If you do not have one, click the link for "Create an FSA ID" and follow the instructions. Once you have successfully logged in, you will see a screen with these options:
- Click on "Complete Master Promissory Note." On the next screen, scroll down to PLUS MPN for Parents:
- Click on the box labeled "Complete PLUS MPN for Parents".
- Complete all fields in the Borrower Information and Student Information sections. For School Information, use the drop-down menus to select School State: CALIFORNIA and School Name: STANFORD UNIVERSITY. Confirm that the correct School Code/Branch and School Address are displayed: