Graduate Housing Loan
Graduate and professional students who will be living off-campus for the 2016-17 academic year may apply for loan funds to help with move-in costs, such as first and last month's rent and security deposit. Loan funds are provided by Stanford.
Purpose of Loan
- Loan funds must be used to cover initial move-in expenses only.
- Loan funds are not intended to cover ongoing expenses such as monthly rent, food, or transportation.
- Degree-seeking graduate and professional students are eligible.
- Coterminal Bachelor/Masters students in the fifth year of enrollment are eligible.
- Students must be planning to enroll at the half-time level or above for the 2016-17 academic year to be eligible.
- The following individuals are not eligible: Undergraduates, Postdocs, Visiting Student Researchers, other non-matriculated students, faculty, staff.
- Borrower must be moving into new off-campus housing for the 2016-17 academic year.
- Move-in date must be May 1, 2016 or later.
- Students who will be living in on-campus are not eligible.
- Students who will be living in off-campus housing that is subsidized by Stanford (e.g. Oak Creek) are not eligible.
- Students who will be sharing off-campus housing with others are eligible to borrow toward their portion of initial move-in expenses; please explain your circumstances on the application form.
- Your eligibility for other student loan funds may be affected by your borrowing this loan; contact your Financial Aid Office with questions about the impact on your financial aid package.
- Maximum loan amount: $6,000 (lifetime limit for this loan program).
- Minimum loan amount: $500.
- No origination fees.
- No credit check required.
- No payments due while the borrower is enrolled at Stanford at the half-time level or above.
- No payments due during grace period of six (6) months after the borrower ceases enrollment.
- Repayment period: Up to ten (10) years, starting at the end of the six-month grace period.
- Interest rate:
- 0% while student is enrolled at Stanford at the half-time level or above.
- 0% during the six-month grace period after ceasing enrollment at half-time or above.
- 5% fixed interest accrues during the ten-year repayment period.
- No penalties for early repayment.
- Temporary deferment of payments and interest available during periods of service in the U.S. Military, U.S. Public Health Service, Peace Corps, or VISTA, and during full-time medical residency; see promissory note for details.
- Determine the amount that you will need to borrow for initial move-in expenses (maximum $6,000).
- Complete and submit the online application form. The application is hosted by Qualtrics and meets Stanford's standards for data security. You will be prompted to confirm your identity via Stanford WebAuth.
- Your Financial Aid Office may contact you with follow-up questions.
- You will receive an email message from SignMyLoan.com directing you to complete the online promissory note.
- Once Stanford receives confirmation that your promissory note is signed, the legally-required waiting period of six business days begins.
- At the end of the waiting period, loan funds will be delivered to you by Student Financial Services.
- Loan processing may take up to three weeks; please indicate on your application if you need funds sooner.
- You can expedite delivery of funds by enrolling for direct deposit of refunds.
Please contact your Financial Aid Office or email email@example.com with any questions.
Updated on April 29, 2016 3:44 PM